Re: Plugins, Turn Ons, Drop Outs.

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 10:02:20PM +0200, Tesla Coil wrote:

> Have version 0.2.7, but haven't explored esd much at all.  I guess one
> needs to alter the command line when running some audio aps?  Some
> just refuse to work on default, complaining that the device is busy.

Yup.  The "device busy" errors are probably caused by esd or something
else (kaudioserver?) holding the sound device open.

To run an app through esd that doesn't explicitly support esd, run
"esddsp" with the real app command line.  So, to run the eMusic MP3
player, you run "esddsp emusic".

Esddsp does some funky LD_PRELOAD stuff to fake apps into thinking
they're talking to /dev/dsp when they're really funneling their sound
to esd.  Warning: esddsp doesn't work with everything; in particular,
apps that mmap() /dev/dsp have a hard time with it.