Re: Plugins, Turn Ons, Drop Outs.

On 3 Jun  1999 Jeff Licquia wrote:
> I don't use plugins for precisely the reasons you describe.  And
> I've seen nothing on the Web that was compelling enough for one.
> Real Audio is a different story; I run that as a helper app, not a
> plugin.

I would like to get MIDI backgrounds going.  Preferably, I could
configure playmidi as a helper app, but that don't seem to work.

Very strangely, this weekend, a visiting friend, not very familiar with
Linux, was browsing the web with this machine, and started download
of an MPEG video.  I didn't know about this until mpegplay popped up
on the screen and started playing it.  The weirdness is, this machine
doesn't appear anywhere to have mpegplay configured as a helper ap
for MPEG video--Navigator preferences for MPEG video is listed as
"Unknown: Prompt User" ...

> The main deal with that now is that the 5.0 player has a problem
> with 2.2.x kernels which causes it to freak after a few seconds of
> playing a sound [...] My solution: run RA under esddsp.  The
> virtualizing stuff cures the problem rather well.

Have version 0.2.7, but haven't explored esd much at all.  I guess one
needs to alter the command line when running some audio aps?  Some
just refuse to work on default, complaining that the device is busy.