Re: Caldera 2.2 Install

"Burke, Jason" wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I just finished up a Caldera 2.2 install at work today, and all
> I can say is "WOW"! At the meeting on tuesday we missed
> the coolest part, the login and the quick setup (Of course it
> was partly my fault that we missed these parts, but Steve
> just had to do that full install). Anyway, the KDM login screen
> has changed since the last time I looked at it, and now you
> just click on your user icon to login (which is cool since users
> can now just find themselves if they forget their username
> for some reason).

KDM's had that for quite a while, at least since I first used it (pre
1.0).  It's optional as well, you can have it not do that and make users
type their name in the box.

> The only downside to this is that they include
> the root user in that list (which seems like a security risk to
> me personally).

Also configurable.  See $KDEDIR/share/config/kdmrc.  The NoUsers= line
is a semi-colon separated list of users to not put a picture in for.
You can even have different pixmaps for each user, just drop the pixmap
in $KDEDIR)share/apps/kdm/pics/users/user.xpm, named after the user.

> Also, you can actually shutdown the machine
> without having to login now (again can be conisdered a
> security risk, or a benifit depending on you perspective), and
> once you login you are taken through a quick configuration
> wizard that sets up the machine for you. It was really slick,
> and all I can say is this distro has done wonders to make
> a desktop machine much more of a reality for new and
> inexperienced users. I was very impressed.

Ah the joys of Open Source.  Someone has an itch, and scratches it.  All
these things being configurable, and much easier than mucking with an
undocumented registry like Windows.  Even that shutdown thing is
optional, only let root do it, only from the console (not network XDM
sessions), etc, check the help.  That's another nice thing about KDE,
they've put a lot of work into the help for most of the applications.