DVORAK and ro

I've got a user that wants to use a dvorak key mapping (under X).  I can't
immediately find any docs on how in the heck to get xmodmap or something
similar to do so.  Anyone know more about this than I do?

Also, I wanna set up a system that mounts all filesystems as read-only.  For
some reason, this appears to cause all sorts of problems.  Anyone know of a
good reference to look at that would explain stuff related to booting?
Perhaps someone that's made his own CD-ROM system that would have
informative links still fresh in his mind? :)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a way to start a clean shutdown whenever
a power source goes away?  Like, if I had a power inverter hooked up to a
constant 12V source, and wanted the machine to start up whenever I turn on
the car and then shut down neatly when I turn the car off?  Maybe even
switching off a latching relay on succesful shutdown and switching on said
relay when 12V is again applied at the turn of a key?  Just as an example...
;)

Thanks again,
Danny