Re: sound module problem

John Corey wrote:

> Cloudmaster wrote:
> >
> > Hey, I'm trying to get sound to work in my new 2.2.0, but since I can't
> > build SB support into my kernel, I built it as a module (which is prolly
> > better anyway).  I've got a non-PNP Awe32, and I can inmod soundcore,
> > soundlow, uart401, sound, and awe_wave OK - but when I try to insert the sb
> > module, I get this:
> >
> > cloud233:/lib/modules/2.2.0/misc # insmod sb
> > ./sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> >
> > Any idea why this would be?
>
> You may try specifying all the io, irq, etc parameters.  I believe at
> least io, irq, and dma are required, but there is probably others you
> can set.  Speaking of which, is there any sort of master list of modules
> and their parameters anywhere?  I've just been hunting through the
> source files for the MODULE_PARM() calls to see what something can take,
> but that would certainly be a nifty feature.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/*  (what documentation is there).
Unfortunately, your PAS16 appears to be missing.

There is documentation for some other cards throughout the
/usr/src/Documentation tree.  Also, Red Hat boxes install a "module-info" file
in /boot.  It's for the 2.0.36 kernel Red Hat ships.

> Anyway, I too have been trying to load my sound drivers as a module
> (PAS16 type card).  But despite all my attempts at specifying parameters
> it still alleges the device is busy...

You might have luck with the PAS16 configuring it as a SB compatible, but it
would probably only use the card as if it were an 8-bit card.

FWIW, I'm running 2.2.0, and my sound card is working perfectly.  It's a
Creative SoundBlaster 16, no PnP.  I'm using the standard Red Hat sound
configuration scripts that come with 5.2, which works OK with the 2.2.0 drivers.