Re: More newbie drivel

Mike Gatton said:
> Howdy all & Merry X-Mas.

Oh, and a belated happy first anniversary to LUCI.  :-)  (The first
meeting was Dec. 4, 1997.)

> Still getting no further - getting frusterated..

Relax.  You'll get it figured out.  :-)

> SuSE seems to install MUCH easier and does a
> lot of the work that I had to do manually in Caldera's release.

I had a feeling it might be a little easier to deal with.  One of
these years I'll have to take a look at it myself.  ;-)

> However
> I am left with one little nagging problem, "chat" seems to not work
> correctly... the command "chat -f ./chatscript" sends and receives i/o
> to the console (I see the +++ATDT#### and manually type 'BUSY' to exit
> the program), if I type "chat -f ./chatscript < /dev/modem > /dev/modem"
> it will dial and connect. Since I have run the 'chat' program from a
> redhat cdrom with the same results, I assume that there is a config file
> somewhere that I have setup incorectly, but I just cant find it. any
> suggestions?

That is 100% correct behavior.  chat is a very simple program that
simply reads from stdin & writes to stdout.  It doesn't even set line
speed or anything.  That's why the best way to run it when doing PPP
is something like this:

    pppd connect 'chat -v -f /some/path/chatscript' /dev/modem 115200 \
      modem crtscts defaultroute noipdefault asyncmap 0 lock

In other words, let pppd set everything up and run chat.  Otherwise,
you'll need to redirect stdin & stdout to /dev/modem by hand.  (That
can be handy for hanging up or resetting a modem too, BTW.  I use

    chat -V '' '+++\d\dATH' OK ATZ OK < /dev/modem > /dev/modem

rather often.)

Another note...  If you run pppd & chat like I showed, you should be
able to do a "tail -f /var/log/messages" to see what is happening.  If
you add "debug" to the pppd command line, add a line

    *.=debug					/var/log/debug

to /etc/syslog.conf, and "killall -HUP syslogd", you can do a "tail -f
/var/log/debug" to see even more of what is happening.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month