.htgroup

I am currently using .htaccess to secure a directory using basic username
and password authentication, however, I have multiple username which need
access to this directory via the web, so I have implemented a .htgroup
file. The problem that has arisen is that the number of users found in the
.htgroup file has become so many that editing the file has become quite a
pain, since in .htgroup, all usernames listed on one contiguous line, and
my number of users has grown to nearly 300.
The script I have written (with luci's help), is short, simple and echo's
a new username to the .htgroup file. Problem is, this echo causes the file
to wrap for some reason. Is there anyway to prevent this short of opening
up the file with vi to prevent the word wrap?

cjm