Re: Sound Card

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 08:21:32PM +0200, Tesla Coil wrote:

> On 6 Jun 1999, Jeff Licquia replied:
> > You should probably check out the Sound HOWTO. [...]
> > Alternately, check the documentation for the distribution
> > you're using.  Even if you got a CheapBytes special or
> > downloaded, you should still have some documentation
> > available on the CD or the distribution's Web site.
>
> Running OpenLinux 2.2, correct?  I didn't find that Caldera gives much
> if any attention to sound whatsoever on their site.  As much a partisan
> of free software as I am, I have to put in a recommendation of OSS for
> the time being.   Comparatively just too easy to install, and supports the
> widest range of cards.  You'll need to do a uname -rv at the prompt to
> see if Caldera's 2.2.5 kernel is SMP.   If nothing is said about SMP, you
> need the UP edition.  Really little need to review the docs to see if your
> card is supported on this--installation'll identify it and tell you.
>
> All the other details at http://www.opensound.com/oss.html .

FWIW, Red Hat's sound support isn't too bad.  I know nothing about
OpenLinux except the experience a friend of mine had; he, too, had to
go to OSS to get sound working properly on 2.2.

The situation with sound support sucks right now.  It's getting
better, though.  I guess that's what happens when you rely on a person
whose main income derives from a commercial version of that free
code.  (Can you say "crippleware"?)

> While we're on this topic, some related discussion topics:  Has anybody
> got away without a bzImage on the 2.2.5 kernel?  I turned out a couple of
> zImages, but both completely FUBAR even for my minimal needs.  Asked
> SuSE tech about this, and found that they're moving toward interpretation
> of their support scope that excludes questions of kernel recompile.  I'm
> told that with the kernel having become more modular, recompile no longer
> classes as "basic configuration" but as "homemade or self-compiled
> programs."  This notice given to me by the very same tech who responded
> to my questions regarding 2.0.36 recompile only short months ago.

It is my understanding that zImage kernels are almost officially a
thing of the past with the 2.2 kernels.  The uncompressed kernel (plus
necessary data areas, LILO space, etc.) no longer fits in 640K of RAM.

bzImage kernels shouldn't be a big deal.  If your LILO doesn't support
them, it's *really* old, and you should upgrade anyway.