Re: Sound Card

On 5 June 1999, Justin Rolando wrote:
>> got modem working now i need sound [...] running a sound
>> blaster 16 if it is worklable let me know if not tell  me what
>> i should get and how to set it up please :-)

On 6 Jun 1999, Jeff Licquia replied:
> You should probably check out the Sound HOWTO. [...]
> Alternately, check the documentation for the distribution
> you're using.  Even if you got a CheapBytes special or
> downloaded, you should still have some documentation
> available on the CD or the distribution's Web site.

Running OpenLinux 2.2, correct?  I didn't find that Caldera gives much
if any attention to sound whatsoever on their site.  As much a partisan
of free software as I am, I have to put in a recommendation of OSS for
the time being.   Comparatively just too easy to install, and supports the
widest range of cards.  You'll need to do a uname -rv at the prompt to
see if Caldera's 2.2.5 kernel is SMP.   If nothing is said about SMP, you
need the UP edition.  Really little need to review the docs to see if your
card is supported on this--installation'll identify it and tell you.

All the other details at http://www.opensound.com/oss.html .

While we're on this topic, some related discussion topics:  Has anybody
got away without a bzImage on the 2.2.5 kernel?  I turned out a couple of
zImages, but both completely FUBAR even for my minimal needs.  Asked
SuSE tech about this, and found that they're moving toward interpretation
of their support scope that excludes questions of kernel recompile.  I'm
told that with the kernel having become more modular, recompile no longer
classes as "basic configuration" but as "homemade or self-compiled
programs."  This notice given to me by the very same tech who responded
to my questions regarding 2.0.36 recompile only short months ago.