Re: Distro's that dont come with proper lib's

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> > Folks, it seems to me like linux is, unfortunately, splintering up so much
> > that interoperability is gonna soon be a thing of the past.
>
> Three out of the five distributions I listed above use rpm (and the
> ones that don't probably include alien), and I think four of the five
> use glibc 2.0.  All are shipping a late 2.0 kernel last I checked.
> How's that splintering?

I think its getting better.  Many of the dists are trying to follow the
fsstnd, (some more successfully than others).  Sure, distributions
will have the configuration files in /etc, instead of where the author
may have dumped it, but if thats what you choose, grab the source and
compile it yourself like we did in the good old days when Slackware
was king.