Re: Need some Help (fwd)

Steven Pritchard wrote:

> > > Getting Network Card to work.
> > >     Card is "3COM FastEtherLink XL" Model 3C905B-TX (PCI Card)
> [...]
> > Red Hat's compatibility list mentions that the 3C905B is not supported,
> > although it is supposed to be compatible.  The report mentions that they
> > might work in 10MB mode.  Other 3Com cards are supported OK, though.  See
> > if someone has a straight 905 or something else.
>
> Uh, isn't the 3c905B the Vortex?  Isn't that what I've got in web1?
> (Or is it the Boomerang that I've got?  I can never keep these things
> straight.)

I'm not sure.  I have heard about other people having problems with 3C905B
cards.  The 3C905, though, is supposed to be not only supported, but
recommended, as are all the rest of their recent cards.  (I wonder what the
difference is?)

> I'd be *extremely* surprised if there is a 3Com card that isn't
> supported.  It probably needs a very recent kernel though...  What
> kernel (and distribution, for that matter) are we talking about here?

It's really puzzling to me why this one card from an otherwise pretty cool
company is so wacky, but I've heard these reports before, so I'm pretty sure
this is more than Red Hat having a problem.