Re: Need some Help (fwd)

> > Getting "X" to work.
> >     Doesn't Have my video card listed,
[...]
> >     Video card is "SiS 6326" AGP 3D w/8MB RAM
> You have two options:
>
>  - get another video card.
[...]
> - get a commercial X server for Linux.
[...]

There are a couple of other options...

  - Try XFree86 3.3.3, which just came out a week or so ago.
    According to the main page of the XFree86 web site
    (http://www.xfree86.org/):

     Highlights of the new release include
     * New chipsets supported including 3Dlabs, Rendition, Weitek P9x00,
       Cyrix MediaGX, Matrox G100/G200, SiS 5597/98 + 6326, Trident
                                                     ^^^^^^
       975AGP, NeoMagic, more Mach64 chipsets, C&T 69000, Riva TNT, EPSON
       SPC8110, Linux vesafb.

  - Even if your card wasn't supported, you could run the VESA VGA
    framebuffer stuff in the latest 2.1.x kernels.  You'd just have to
    switch into a high resolution/color mode at boot time & stay
    there.  Once you are running with fbcon, you can run the one fb X
    server.

> >     Also, "X" doesn't seem to be able to use my mouse.
> >         Standard, three button serial, generic.
>
> Does the mouse work under the console?  Did the mouse autodetect at setup?
>
> Most of these work with the Microsoft or Mouse Systems settings.

Logitech three-button mice generally need to be configured as
"MouseMan".

If you are lucky enough to have a distribution that includes
XF86Setup, try running that and seeing if you can get any further.

> > Getting Network Card to work.
> >     Card is "3COM FastEtherLink XL" Model 3C905B-TX (PCI Card)
[...]
> Red Hat's compatibility list mentions that the 3C905B is not supported,
> although it is supposed to be compatible.  The report mentions that they
> might work in 10MB mode.  Other 3Com cards are supported OK, though.  See
> if someone has a straight 905 or something else.

Uh, isn't the 3c905B the Vortex?  Isn't that what I've got in web1?
(Or is it the Boomerang that I've got?  I can never keep these things
straight.)

I'd be *extremely* surprised if there is a 3Com card that isn't
supported.  It probably needs a very recent kernel though...  What
kernel (and distribution, for that matter) are we talking about here?

Of course, the definitive place for network card driver information is
Don Becker's page at

    http://www.beowulf.org/linux/drivers/

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month