Re: lilo

At 05:36 AM 11/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>This drive doesn't happen to use one of those DOS partition table
>translation things like Disk Manager or EZ-Drive, does it?

  Well not that I know of, the drive itself is kind of second hand, its
been in a win98 machine and was taken out of there and reformatted directly
to linux.

>The only good reason I can think of that lilo wouldn't *really* get
>written to the MBR is if the kernel has seen one of those translated
>partition tables and is using that.  You should be able to tell if you
>have something like that installed from the bootup messages.  When
>your partition table is read, you'll see something like this normally:
>
> hda: hda1 hda2
>
>If you have EZ-Drive on that disk, you'll see something like this
>(from memory, so I might not be exactly right):
>
> hda: hda1 hda2 [EZD]

  Hmm it says at boot:

Partition check:
 hda: [PTBL] [784/255/63] hda1 hda2 < hda5 >

>If I'm not mistaken, if that happens you do one of two things.  First,
>you can boot from a DOS floppy and fdisk the drive.  (DOS doesn't know

  Tried this with a bootable floppy and fdisk from win95, and fdisk
exclaimed that there were no hard drives installed.  As did Partition Magic
for dos 4.0 for that matter, well to be precise PM sees Disk0 and crashes
when I do anything but thats another problem for another day 8)

>write lilo to the superblock of the Linux partition you want to boot
>from and mark that partition active.

  Hmm, sounds easy enough, now just how do i go about doing it?  8)

  Oh yes, sorry to everyone about the 3 messages being sent, wasn't by
design I assume you 8)

- Kurtis Schlimme
  Shadow