Re: lilo

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Kurtis Schlimme wrote:
> At 05:36 AM 11/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >This drive doesn't happen to use one of those DOS partition table
> >translation things like Disk Manager or EZ-Drive, does it?
>
>   Well not that I know of, the drive itself is kind of second hand, its
> been in a win98 machine and was taken out of there and reformatted directly
> to linux.
...snip...
>   Hmm it says at boot:
>
> Partition check:
>  hda: [PTBL] [784/255/63] hda1 hda2 < hda5 >

That's what Maxtor's Drive partitioning software does, IIRC.  One of them
does it.  It makes a primary partition, and then an extended partition -
which is what you have there.  If you're not concerned with your data (or
better yet, have it backed up), I'd advise deleting all partitions, dd-ing
/dev/zero to the first pile of blocks on the hard drive (like, 512K or so, I
guess), and then repartitioning - first create a DOSable partition with DOS
fdisk if you want one, and then split up the rest of the stuff with linux
fdisk.

That's what _I'd_ do, anyway. :)

> >If I'm not mistaken, if that happens you do one of two things.  First,
> >you can boot from a DOS floppy and fdisk the drive.  (DOS doesn't know
>
>   Tried this with a bootable floppy and fdisk from win95, and fdisk
> exclaimed that there were no hard drives installed.  As did Partition Magic
> for dos 4.0 for that matter, well to be precise PM sees Disk0 and crashes
> when I do anything but thats another problem for another day 8)

That sounds kinda like a boot-manager gone bad. :)

Speaking of boot sectors, does anyone know of a good way to recover data
from a disk (MS-DOS, FAT16) that I mucked up the MBR of, and hopefully
nothing else?  "FDISK /MBR" doesn't do it (actually, that's what _caused_
it). :(

--Danny