Odd characters

Hi,
  No, I'm not asking about people;) I've been editing some html that I
produced from text files exported from Win95 MS word translated from mac
MS word (arrg) and I have been finding odd characters. In vi they look
like ~U, and in netscape they come through as *, both on screen and in
search&replace. What I really need is a script to strip them out of my
html files, but I don't know how to identify them. I believe that you can
see some of them at:

http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/landings/Ambot/prehistory/mississippian/technology/stone-analysis.html

assuming that I can remember a url that long...

Thanks in case someone can figure out how to search&destroy these thingys

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html