Re: pipin'

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, mike packard wrote:
> > > Noticing that, and realizing that I was trying that on a slackware box
> > > when I tried it, I fired up an rxvt on my SuSE box (BTW, SuSE kicks ass)
> >
> > What kix ass about it?  I wanted to try it the last time I reinstalled
> > but didn't have a CD.  Do you have a SuSE CD I can?  I'm also
> > looking for a Debian CD if anyone has one.  On the other hand I
> > could just break down and fork over the $1.99 or whatever it is to
> > order it from [Insert name of Linux-Selling-Place here].  :)
>
> I've never used SuSE, but I've heard lots of good things about it.  It's
> the first to integrate new software into the distro; it was first with
> GIMP, and was first to include KDE and use it as the default environment.
> Plus, I've seen the first part of the install script, which has the best
> PCMCIA support of any of the distros, IMHO.
>
> I have a recent SuSE CD I can loan you, and a Debian 1.3.1 CD you can
> have.  (Which reminds me: time to order that Debian 2.0 CD...)

www.suse.com

I've got SuSE 5.2 here, but Champaign might be a pretty good drive for
most of you... :)

Like Jeff said, it comes with a lot of new software, so in that respect I
was completely blown away, having gotten used to Slack 3.2 and it's
tremendous outdatedness.  SuSE uses Sys V-like init scripts, which is
somethign else I didn't apreciate until I tried them.  It comes with a
bunch 'o window managers, including enlightenment and KDE (and all the
other common ones, along with a couple less-common).  That's cool, because
I couldn't get E to work on anything I had prior to now.

It uses yast (yet another setup tool) to configure darn near everything
with neat little scripts.  All the system configuration stuff is stored in
a config file in /etc, and the scripts just run around setting up the
applicable .conf's based on that one main config file.  For example, I
still don't completely understand sendmail (I can't make it to meetings
due to class until 8PM on Tues) - but by reading this you'll notice that
it works none the less.  Of course, the programs still use the normal
configuration files, so yast isn't a requirement.

The book that comes with the "official" distrib is far and away the best
(beginner/intermediate) book on linux I've yet read.  It goes into
reasonable detail so tha someone with a vague idea of what linux is could
set up darn near everything neccesary.  It's just a further example of teh
obviously good planning that's gone into the whole thing.  Those goofy
redhat people out there :) will appreciate that it's rpm-based.  All the
packages are organized pretty neatly from a text-mode GUI (accesed from
yast).  That means it's got a nice, easy upgrade path.  5.3 supposedly has
support for ftp upgrades.

I've really only got one complaint in that there are a few places that
remain german.  The occaisonal english translation is kinda shakey, but
still readable.  This extens to the phone tech suport.  Those people that
I spoke to (2 or 3 of them) all had differnt accents, none of which were
english. :)  That's pretty minor though, IMHO.

YMMV,

--Danny, who didn't intend to type that much...

Oh, almost forgot - the install was the easiest I've used so far (out of
slackware, redhat, and suse).  Not that any of those are _hard_ though.