Re: mounting /proc

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Sean Chisek wrote:

> hello.  i recently got a new hard drive and got my linux partition
> copied from my old one to my new one.  when i start up linux now on my
> new hard drive i get a message saying mount point /proc does not exist.
> i don't have a /proc directory on my new hard drive.  when i try to run
> commands like ps i get a message saying i need to mount /proc.  i have
> the following line in my /etc/fstab file:
> /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> but, since i don't have a /proc directory i guess it's not doing
> anything.  my question is, what do i need to do to get my /proc
> directory back.  i don't know why it wasn't copied when i copied
> everything else.  hmmmmmm.

What command did you use to copy everything?  It sounds likely that more
things might be broken than just this.

To check this, do an "ls -l /" and look for the entry for /tmp.  It should
look like the following:

drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Aug 12 11:36 tmp

If it doesn't, you might find that you have other problems.

If you still have your old filesystem, and you can get both the old and
new disks mounted under Linux, use "cp -ax" to do the job.  Set your umask
to 0 ("umask 0") and do a "cp -ax <srcdir>/* <destdir>".  If you can't get
them both mounted at the same time, use tar ("tar --one-file-system czf
should work; remove the "z" if you don't want it compressed).

Anyway, to answer your question, just create the subdirectory /proc and
reboot.  Here's the permissions on my /proc:

dr-xr-xr-x   5 root     root            0 Aug 12 11:30 proc