Re: ViRGE of Catastrophe.

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> I use the S3V X server with XFree86, and I don't have problems...
> Try installing and setting up with the S3V X server and see if
> that helps.

On the same day, Steven Pritchard added ...
> I have to second what Jeff said.  I've been using an S3 ViRGE for
> about a year and a half now with the S3V server (since way back
> when it was still alpha), and I haven't had a single problem
> in over a year.

The S3V server was my first choice on setup, and I've made several
attempts with it since.  The usual result:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect: errno = 111_

On one occasion, being insistent with a configuration that had failed
on the preceding attempt, I got a connect.  Colors were out of whack,
icons distorted, and viewed as if through half-open vertical blinds;
I didn't stick around long enough to see what else might be wrong.

By comparison, the SVGA server appears a question of fine tuning.
I don't know that behind terminal character corruption is a problem
of greater significance.  If not, I can type "reset" for as often
as it occurs; go the "restorefont" route if it gets annoying enough.

Besides, I'll likely go the way of Cloudmaster and install S.u.S.E.
before long.  :)