mounting /proc

hello.  i recently got a new hard drive and got my linux partition copied from my old one to my new one.  when i start up linux now on my new hard drive i get a message saying mount point /proc does not exist.  i don't have a /proc directory on my new hard drive.  when i try to run commands like ps i get a message saying i need to mount /proc.  i have the following line in my /etc/fstab file:
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
but, since i don't have a /proc directory i guess it's not doing anything.  my question is, what do i need to do to get my /proc directory back.  i don't know why it wasn't copied when i copied everything else.  hmmmmmm.
--
Sean Chisek
riviera@famvid.com