Re: Why *does* slackware suck?

Slackware _doesn't_ suck. :)  IMHO, the reasons people seem to like redhat
are precisely the reasons that I think it sucks.  I don't like RPM's,
primarily.  It just feels like I'm more in control of my system with
slackware, although I've installed RPM support for those out there who
like to distribute stuff in rpm format, instead of letting me decide what
goes where and how it's compiled (in any easy way).  To tell the truth, I
don't really like any of the distribs out there, although I'm gonna give
stampede a try and see if it's a better starting point for me to build on
(as every distrib really is just a starting point).  Hopefully I know
enough to "roll my own" now - which is why I got into linux in the first
place.

My understanding form attending our friendly university of illinois at
urbana/champaign, and getting to play with pretty much all of the major
distribs, talking to people who are biased towards something other than
redhat, has been that redhat is the way to go if you're just starting out
and don't know what's going on yet.  Slackware used to be great, but it's
fallen behind a bit - should have a new release someday if they hope t
ostay alive.  debian is pretty good if you know what's going on, but it's
a bit more complicated than need be.  I haven't played with SuSE's distrib
in any signifigant way, but from what I hear, it's pretty darned nice.
And then there's yggadsril and others that aren't as big, but fit into
their respective niches pretty well.

Danny, hoping not to start too big a holy war, but also not wanting redhat
	to take over. :)
Light in the absence of eyes
illuminates nothing
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~sauer