Re: Why *does* slackware suck?

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Charles J Menzes wrote:

> Sorry to say, but I just havent been swayed to red hat in spite of what
> appears to be a fairly large springfield following. Does anyone want to
> try and give me a list of why slackware they think slackware is inferior
> to Red Hat? In spite of the humor you can read into this, I am really
> genuine in this request...

IMHO, the biggest advantage of Red Hat over Slackware is in the package
management.

Ever tried to do a major upgrade of Slackware?  Essentially, you're stuck
with downloading, building, and installing everything from scratch.
OTOH, upgrading Red Hat is a matter of booting with an upgrade floppy and
selecting the "upgrade" option.

Additionally, installing new software is a dream on Red Hat.  With RPM,
you can install a binary - and even rebuild from source - with one
command.  No setup, no untarring, no configure scripts.

Uninstalls are just as easy.  "rpm -e" and the software is totally gone.

There are other nice things about Red Hat - SysV-style init scripts,
complete and reasonably up-to-date software, regular bug fixes and
updates, and their contributions back to the Linux community (Red Hat
Advanced Developement Labs, RPM, PAM, etc.) - but their packages are the
best.

Not to say Red Hat is perfect, though.