Re: Why *does* slackware suck?

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Charles J Menzes wrote:

> Hello everyone...
>
> I am currently in the midst of trying to install samba on a slackware
> 2.0.3x machine, and in trying to compile the Makefile, I get an error upon
> attempting to write from smbpass.c to an output file of smbpass.o
>
> in fact I get :
>
> Compiling smbpass.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> make: *** [smbpass.o] Error 1

Looks like gcc flaked out.

The only thing I know about is "fatal signal 11".  This usually means you
have flaky RAM; gcc tends to abuse RAM, so if your RAM is bad, it will
generate lots of signal 11's.

This is different.  The only thing I can think of is to reinstall the
latest gcc.  (Here's where you'll likely want RPM!)

> Now, I am really not sure what Error 1 constitutes, but I am guessing by
> the name of the file that maybe something is incorrect in the Makefile
> concerning passwords?

Nope.  The make error is simply reflecting the gcc error.  When a compile
returns an error, make stops the build process, assuming (rightly so)
that there's a problem.