Re: Two processors---

Erich Schroeder said:
[...]
> I'd be
> interested in hearing about why (or why not) I should move to something
> on the 2.1 series. This is something like a "mission-critical" machine so
> I need to be careful.

Basically because SMP in the 2.0.x kernels is horribly inefficient.
It's one of the major things that's being worked on for 2.2, and it's
already much better than it was in 2.0.x.  Also, keep in mind that
beta Linux code is *much* better than any commercial vendor's release
code, as a rule.  Recent 2.1 kernels have basically been quite
stable (if they've run at all, that is :).  Basically, if the kernel
compiles, boots, the drivers you need work, and it runs overnight,
it's going to be rock-solid.  :-)  So far, 2.1.86 has been running for
a few days (maybe a week now) at work with no problems.  Apparently
people are having Oopses from shm on 2.1.87, so it would probably be
best to avoid...

Anyway, short answer:  Under normal circumstances, I'd say stick with
2.0.x, but because SMP is *so* much better under 2.1.x, it's worth the
risk to get the performance & stability increase.

>   The next small annoyance is that metro-x doesn't behave right with
> the Diamond Stealth64 2001 video card. Why does anyone bother with
> metro-x? I'll probably replace it.

Metro-X seems like a waste.  I've never seen it work right.  XFree86
has always worked great for me...

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month