Re: Streaming Audio "VCR" (was: The Linux Show)

On 21 June 1999 --Damascus-- wrote:
> OK everyone, let's not forget to set our RA VCRs.  :-)

Actually thinking about that over the weekend, only questioning how
easy it would be with SHOUTcast/Icecast streaming mp3.  That a
VCR (SFR?) would result was kind of an afterthought, cause it was
initially to address another problem.

The higher the kbps transmission rate of the mp3 stream, the more
frequently listening is interrupted by prebuffering.   I've learned not
even to bother with those exceeding 32kbps.  The most popular station
on Icecast's list last night was running 128kbps, and another in the top
fifteen was running 160kbps--these listeners must have exceptional
bandwidth, because those numbers would get me like one second of
sound followed by several of prebuffering.  But, few days ago, my ppp
connection died while I was listening to a 20kbps station, and I noticed
that audio continued to stream for a full minute afterwards.  *light bulb*

Possible to hack x11amp source so output goes, not to /dev/audio, but
to a file for later *continuous* listening?  It wouldn't be concatenating
during prebuffering, would it?  Otherwise you'd get the same results as
you would from a realtime recording.  If this much is plausible, no trouble
to expect of adding a dialog to allowing the user to specify a time frame
for connecting and disconnecting to the net and the stream's URL.

I'll wager the RIAA would raise Hell that this was illegal under the
Digital Millenium Copyright Act.  (Their interpretation of that law is
required reading for anyone concerned about the future of net media
http://www.riaa.com/newtech/dcma.htm).  If so, I'd say they're wrong.
The DMCA provisions regard modifying and distributing a program that
"has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than
to circumvent a technological protection measure" facilitating piracy.
The "commercial significance" of a Streaming File Recorder would be
enabling the bandwidth-challenged to receive higher kps transmissions
and talk shows scheduled when they aren't going to be at their computer.