Re: Sound Card

Jeff Licquia said:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 03:28:47PM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > If your kernel won't work as a zImage, you probably have too much
> > stuff compiled in.  You should think about modularizing or eliminating
> > a bunch of drivers.
>
> I haven't compiled a zImage kernel since I started with 2.2.x.  The
> reason I went to bzImage was to correct an error where the kernel was
> described as being too big.  I can't remember where the error was;
> it's been a while.

Again, you must have too much stuff compiled in.  ;-)

Seriously, there are probably situations where you *need* "too much
stuff" compiled into the kernel, such as on a box that does
masquerading, at the same time that it's a real workstation.  As a
rule though, it shouldn't be necessary.  (At least not yet.)

Maybe when I upgrade my machine to 1/4-1/2 GB of RAM I won't care so
much about saving a few KB of memory...  :-)

> 2.2.x contains a workaround, so bzImage kernels are safe again on all
> computers.  (I have a bzImage kernel now on the laptop.)

From what I recall of the last time this came up on linux-kernel,
bzImage still doesn't work on 100% of the systems out there, but it's
pretty close.

If you try bzImage and it works, great.  Supposedly bzImage kernels
should boot a few microseconds faster.  ;)  If it doesn't work, just
switch back to zImage.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month