Re: connection to ":0.0" refused

WICKERSHAM_DEREK_M@CAT.com said:
> Correction: I do recall that xterm ran at first; so did kppp.  But
> after I dialed into my ISP, every X app I try to run gives me this:
>
>  Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>
> I was thinking, this has something to do with xhost, but I'm not sure
> what exactly.  Can anyone suggest what I can do?

It's a little more complicated than that...  RH6 forces the use of
xauth (I'm assuming because it uses gdm).  When you connect to your
ISP, you end up with a different hostname/address, which confuses the
security mechanism.  I'm sure there's some way to fix the problem with
a magic incarnation of xauth, mkxauth, or some similar tool, but I'm
not exactly sure how.

One thing that might work...  If you set your machine up with a dummy
interface, assigned an address like 192.168.1.1 to that, and added an
entry to /etc/hosts for that IP and whatever name your system thinks
it should be, then you might not have such a problem when your PPP
interface comes up.

Of course, having a network card, and another box that just does
dialup would also fix the problem.  :-)

> Other quibble -- autofs works, but doesn't start automatically.  I have
> to type in "/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs start" and then everything works.
> How can I get this to start at boot time?

Run ntsysv, select autofs, hit OK.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month