connection to ":0.0" refused

Hi -

After upgrading to RH6, I lost KDE and had to re-install it (thanks,
Steve) from scratch.  Then I had to re-upgrade Redhat.  Somehow I
managed to get it all back, but I can't run any X applications.

Correction: I do recall that xterm ran at first; so did kppp.  But
after I dialed into my ISP, every X app I try to run gives me this:

I was thinking, this has something to do with xhost, but I'm not sure
what exactly.  Can anyone suggest what I can do?

Other quibble -- autofs works, but doesn't start automatically.  I have
to type in "/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs start" and then everything works.
How can I get this to start at boot time?

tanx,

Derek