Re: ethernet cards

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, mike packard wrote:
> > I own the very card you're likely talking about (gotten at Best Buy?),
> > and I haven't noticed these problems.  I do know that the tulip driver
> > in the kernel has had some modifications to work with "Tulip-clone"
> > cards like the Linksys.  I run 2.2.x now, so I've got those kernel
> > mods already; you might need to download a patch if you're running on
> > a 2.0.36 kernel.
>
> I'm running 2.2.5.  :)
>
> > Do you get a whole lot of collissions when it gets real slow, by any
> > chance?
>
> I think so.
>
> Does that help any?

Well, if the cards running in ful-duplex mode, you're likely to be getting a
whole pile of collisions, and the connection will eventualy say something to
the effect of  "the hell with this, I'm going home," at which point, you're
not geting much throughput...  The "switching to half-duplex"  messsages
would imply that the driver is trying to fix stuff, but since it keeps
trying either a) the card isn't listening or b) something's immediately
resetting the card.  Not that I know how to fix it, but that appears to be
what's wrong (from my perspective).

--Danny