Re: Computerfest

Steven Pritchard wrote:

> We need to start planning for our booth at Computerfest.

> First, we need volunteers to man the booth.

CAnt do that, but I'll loiter. :)

> Second, I would like us to try setting up a little cluster again.

Will there be internet access?  I'm not gonna be able to take down the
network this year (well, one machine, but it's not as cool as all the
machines).  I was thinking if there was gonna be internet access there, I
could set up my machines up here to participate.  If not, well...

> Third, I want to show off some of the interesting non-x86 hardware
> that Linux runs on.  I have an Alpha and a Netwinder (StrongARM), plus
> it looks like we'll be sharing an UltraSPARC (on loan from Sun,
> dual-booting with Solaris and Linux) with the Unix group.  That leaves
> us needing PPC, MIPS, SPARC (original), m68k, and probably other stuff
> I'm forgetting.  If anybody has access to any of that sort of
> hardware, see if you can bring it.  (Any interesting Unix boxes are
> also welcome, BTW.)

You forgot Palm!  If I can find an easy way to back up mine, I'd consider
setting up my Palm3 with linux...  It'll need to be watched real closely
though, as it'd kinda easy to steal. :)  I've also got a Mac IIci that
would like linux installed, as long as there's an RC5 client for it later.
Ryan should have Linux PPC 6.0 on his 475 MHz G3 when it comes out too, I
think I'll be able to talk him into bringing it this year.

I'll bring my cluster o' 486's down too, if it's working by then.  It's not
real fast, but it looks cool.

Is there gonna be a prettier front-end on the display machine this year?
It might be nice to set up a couple / few moniters with different window
managers like windowmaker, KDE, something with gnome, etc. so people can
see that "unix isn't so ugly".  Not that I don't like FVWM95, but I just
don't like it. :)  Perhaps showing linux running a scanner or some other
common consumer hardware too...

> Fourth, we need to get a serious turn-out for this event, and I don't
> just mean Linux people (although I don't mind a lot of us there
> either :).  Start telling everyone you know who is even vaguely
> interested in computers about the show.

Duh. :)

--Danny, who'll help where he can