Re: Computerfest

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, cloudmaster wrote:

> > First, we need volunteers to man the booth.
>
> CAnt do that, but I'll loiter. :)

What do you mean?  Why not?

> Will there be internet access?  I'm not gonna be able to take down the
> network this year (well, one machine, but it's not as cool as all the
> machines).  I was thinking if there was gonna be internet access there, I
> could set up my machines up here to participate.  If not, well...

There will be a T-1 to serve the show.  However, ttalk.com will be
broadcasting the show live over this link, and so I think bandwidth lag
would probably affect the results of our beowulf benchmarking.  We could
do that if we did a huge rc-5 effort that day or something though, i'd
guess.

> You forgot Palm!  If I can find an easy way to back up mine, I'd consider
> setting up my Palm3 with linux...  It'll need to be watched real closely
> though, as it'd kinda easy to steal. :)  I've also got a Mac IIci that
> would like linux installed, as long as there's an RC5 client for it later.
> Ryan should have Linux PPC 6.0 on his 475 MHz G3 when it comes out too, I
> think I'll be able to talk him into bringing it this year.

Ooh, that would be fun.

> I'll bring my cluster o' 486's down too, if it's working by then.  It's not
> real fast, but it looks cool.

Hey, that's not a bad idea.  There are local High schools who want are
interested in projects like that.  It could be a good selling point.  How
many nodes are you working with?

> Is there gonna be a prettier front-end on the display machine this year?
> It might be nice to set up a couple / few moniters with different window
> managers like windowmaker, KDE, something with gnome, etc. so people can
> see that "unix isn't so ugly".  Not that I don't like FVWM95, but I just
> don't like it. :)  Perhaps showing linux running a scanner or some other
> common consumer hardware too...

That idea will probably be implemented amongst the multiple platforms.
We really could use people's machines with nice displays, or even just the
nice displays.  Steven and I both have 17" CTX's, but something nice to
display Quake, and do demo's one would be wonderful.

Computerfest is also in need of some additional equipment.. Screen (pull
down for projector use in theater), Over head (for transparancy view), and
small sound system (single mic with nice amp/speaker).  In addition, the
internet broadcast is needing 3 additional microphones to be used with
their system for the on-line debates, interviews, and presentations.  If
you could help me with this, I'd *greatly* appreciate it.

I'm getting pretty excited about this show.  It looks like we'll be
getting pretty good linux vendor participation, even though Linux Bazaar
is the same weekend!

-Kara