Re: DNS on local network

mike packard wrote:

> > I did get a dhcp server running on it though...dhcpd is pretty damn cool.
>
> I'm a little fuzzy on the whole dhcp/bootp/normal IP assignment thing.
> Can anyone describe it to me?  What are the major differences?  How easy
> is it to convert from normal IP assignment to dhcp?  Does one still have
> to maintain one's /etc/hosts file?

Dhcp is just a protocol where when the operating system boots up, it
sends a request out the network shouting, "Hey!  What's my IP?"  A
server answers and away you go.

I've used it at home for a while now.  With it I can spit out all the IP
address for gateways, name servers, wins servers (for Win machines),
etc.  Then there is very little to set up on the client machines.  There
is also a patch to ISC's dhcpd that will turn around and send DYNDNS
updates to your BIND v8 name server to add/remove the client's current
IP and hostname.  I've only used that on Windows machines, and it just
pulls the hostname from the network properties.  Quite spiffy,
especially if you're like me and change names of computers for no
apparent reason. :)  I'm sure the Linux client can do similar things
when it requests the IP...

The patch was posted to the dhcpd server mail list they have over at
isc.org.  If you can't find it, I should still have the src.rpm
somewhere on this hard drive which will contain it.

I've never messed with bootp.  But DHCP certainly beats manually trying
to keep track of IP addresses.