Re: hi

This probably won't help any, but...

The sound support in late 2.0.x kernels is a little funny, because
Alan Cox took over maintaining the sound driver and tried to
modularize it for Red Hat.  It still has lots of problems, but if you
*really* want to run a 2.0.x kernel, you might try one of Alan's
pre-2.0.36 patches.  They should be at

    ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/alan/2.0.36pre/

Also, you might have better luck with a recent 2.1.x kernel.  2.2.0
should be out Real Soon Now, so the 2.1.x kernels have stabilized
quite a bit.  I've been running 2.1.125 for several days now without
any problems whatsoever, and the last couple of patchlevels have been
just as stable.

If you want to try the latest 2.1.x kernel, grab it from

    ftp://ftp.luci.org/pub/kernel/v2.1/

or from

    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1/

(Try to use our local mirror to keep the traffic down to
ftp.kernel.org...)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month