Re: still more ls questions

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Charles J Menzes wrote:
> 	perfect. thats exactly what i was looking for. hey, i just
> 	had yet *another* discussion the other night with someone
> 	who is swearing the kde desktop is going to change linux
> 	into a possible mainstream product. opinions?

Nice pipe dream.  Linux will go mainstream after is supported by
the majority of the main stream software venders.  This is step 1.
Many companies have 'standardized' on a lotus suite, ms suite, corel
suite, and etc.  Before a company will use Linux, they need to have their
software available.  The second thing they need is competent IS people, or
a distribution that provides out of the box functionality, with minimal
configuration required.
 Seems like the majority of the IS people that I
have dealt with at engineering companies have either been:
1.  Totally incompetent
2.  Technically competent, but didn't give a rats ass about the people he
was providing service for if it wasn't what he enjoyed doing.
3.  Technically competent, with a boss that fit #1.

I presume that by the time many suites are available for Linux, Caldera
and Red Hat will have improved there installs.

For what its worth, as you know, I run Debian.  While it has always had
the best technical distribution,
1.1 did not have a lot of packages, and had several bugs.
1.3 Fixed a lot of 1.1's bugs, but had many of its own.
2.0 has been mostly bug free (for me anyway), and most of the packages
have sane setup scripts that work well for people using dialup internet.
It also has things like mime files set up to install intelligently.
Before, I would have recomended that someone new to Linux try either Red
Hat or Debian (I still do for some of them), but If you were happy with
Red Hat, I wouldn't have recomended changing.  But, with 2.0, I think its
worth your time to look at 2.0, unless you use commercial programs that
rely on Red Hats support.

Mark