Re: still more ls questions

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Charles J Menzes wrote:

> 	perfect. thats exactly what i was looking for. hey, i just
> 	had yet *another* discussion the other night with someone
> 	who is swearing the kde desktop is going to change linux
> 	into a possible mainstream product. opinions?

Interesting, to say the least.

My wife (not a geek) uses Linux a lot because of KDE.  In fact, it's
looking like she's possibly going to go *all* Linux (no Win9x) on the
laptop I'll be building her - again, because of KDE.

Not to start a flame war or anything, but I've been using GNOME as my
desktop, and am pretty happy with it.  It's not nearly as "polished" as
KDE - it's still in an early phase of development, and too many things
break on a regular basis for it to be considered "ready for prime time".
OTOH, when GNOME is ready, it's likely to become a major contender for the
desktop.  KDE, IMHO, seems like a project to "get Linux to the level of
Windows for ease of use", while GNOME is a project on the level of "blow
Windows away for ease of use".

KDE has the advantage, however, of being ready now.  Linux may well become
a major desktop contender with it.  And if, as Linux/KDE and Windows
battle it out, GNOME arrives, meets all its promise and blows them both
away, this can only be good for Linux.  Or, if GNOME doesn't meet all its
promise, and we have a three-way race - Windows, KDE, and GNOME - then,
again, Linux benefits, since the KDE and GNOME people are working together
much better than (I suspect) either would work with Microsoft.