Secondary DNS

I have a RedHat 5.1 machine running as a secondary DNS server.
However, an attempt to run nslookup yields :

*** Can't find server name for address w.x.y.z: Server failed
*** Default servers are not available

For some reason, no updates to this server are coming through.
Additionally, when attempting to run this machine as a primary for a
domain rather than a secondary, I recieve the same response. The machine's
name is defined with /etc/hosts, and hostname returns the machine's fqdn.
Any suggestions?