boot-up problems

I'm not exactly sure what happened and what got corrupted, but when I try
to boot I get this:

[normal boot stuff]...
/dev/hda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/hda1: Inode 6153 has illegal block(s).

/dev/hda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
	(i.e. without -a or -p options)

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** When you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintainance:
(Or type Control-D for normal startup):
  --Sorry, not giving out my root password.  :)--

Then I get a bunch of crap about trying to access beyond end of device.
When I get to a bash prompt and try fsck, it tells me it can't find the
ext2 superblock, I have a bad magic number in my super-block  while
trying to open /dev/hda, and the superblock could not be read or does not
describe a correct ext2 filesystem.

This was after not being able to boot because my inittab was corrupted.
I booted via rescue disk, copied a new inittab over, and rebooted.
That's when I got the above messages.  :(

HELP!!