X Configuration

I've had trouble locating documentation concerning the configuration of some
of the basic functions of X.  For instance, mouse speed is a big one.  My
mouse moves too fast to make it very useful.  Is that sort of thing relative
to your particular window manager?  I'm using WindowMaker (intensive, but
very pretty and functional.) WindowMaker is also the only wm that I've used
that saves desktop settings from session to session.  It seems like X reads
from lots of different config files to determine its properties, and there
doesn't seem to be any sort of rhyme or reason to them.  Anyone have any
suggestions?