Re: win/mac X server

Erich Schroeder said:
> Under win95 I use micro-x (demo) from http://www.starnet.com/. I'm mostly
> happy with it, particulaly when combined with xmouse to make the windows
> act more like under real X. The demo works for 2 hours at a time, then
> you can start it up again. I think it costs $150.

While we're plugging commercial X servers, I should mention that my
personal favorite is eXodus from White Pine software
(http://www.wpine.com/).  Unfortunately, it looks like they've
discontinued at least the Windows version (looks like perhaps the Mac
version is still available) in favor of a browser plugin.  I just
tried it, and it will still do "normal" windows, not just windows in a
browser, but now starting the program is awkward.  (It still runs a
local program that shows up in the "system tray", but there's no
obvious way to start it without hitting a web page with an embedded X
application & having that activate the plugin.  Like I said, it's
awkward.)

Another one that I've used a bit is Omni-X.  It isn't nearly as cool
as eXodus (or even the WebTermX browser plugin thingy, although it is
infinitely easier to start ;), but it is quite usable.  There's a demo
of it available on XLink's web site (http://www.xlink.com/).

I've also tried the demo of X-WinPro (http://www.labf.com/).  As I
recall, it was similar in functionality to Omni-X.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month