Re: win/mac X server

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> kdanner@eosinc.com said:
> > i have no idea if it is any good or not, but there is a free X server for
> > win32/macOS at http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/download.htm
> > ran across it by chance, thought someone might need it.
>
> Last time I tried it, it *sucked*.  All X windows are in one window,
> it seems to require that you use twm, it's easy to crash, etc.

No, you can use window managers other than twm, but you have to compile
them yourself for windows, and they are not supported. :)

> In all fairness, I haven't looked at it in the better part of a year.
> It's possible that it's improved.  At the time, they weren't releasing
> source though, so I wouldn't be too hopeful that it has improved.

I can't even get it to install on any of my systems, so I think it sucks
for that reason.

> Unfortunately, all decent Windoze X servers that I am aware of are
> extremely expensive.

Unless you find a way to connect to uiarchaive from a uiuc acount and get
free U of I site-liscensed windowing systems. :)

--cloudmaster