AMD Athlon's shipped

I just caught on AMD's web site that they've started shipping the chip
formerly known as K7.  At speeds of 500, 550, and 600 they've once again
got the fastest x86 CPU.

What's most interesting is their pricepoints.  AMD's said in the last
few weeks that they're targetting "high-end" systems.  I feared they'd
they'd go the way of Intel with $1000 CPUs.  But they are really quite
reasonable.  Oddly though, the Athlon/500 will probably be about $400,
while the K6-III/500 is currently going for $429 on PriceWatch.
Basically the same price for a next generation CPU, you just have to get
a new motherboard, but still very nice.

If only there were motherboards, now...