new SCSI adapter

Hi all.  For some reason I decided to put a new scsi adapter into my redhat machine.  I can't remember why now.

But as far as redhat is concerned, I didn't put anything new in.  I think what I need is a decent walk-through from start to finish for adding a scsi adapter into a machine that never had scsi before.  Is there a good document around that does this?  All the How-to's I've read are 3 years old and of little readability and applicability.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have a new Tekram DC 310, which uses the Symbios 53c810 chip.  Why did I get this BIOS-less adapter?  Because my motherboard has a built-in symbios bios for this chipset.  Anyway,  I built a 2.3.5 kernel with support for this chipset, fired it up, and nothing.

Now, I am not sure what I need to do besides just building a new kernel for this...I haven't found anything that says exactly what to do next.  So pardon me if I'm trying to go straight from step A to step G.

I can do a lspci and it shows the adapter, but a "cat /proc/interrupts" shows no sign of it.  And during boot-up, Linux reports 0 scsi hosts.

Furthermore, I did configure the SCSI drivers as modules, but there's no trace of anything scsi in the /etc/conf.modules.  I guess I thought that building the kernel would do all that for me.

Now I know that a scsi chain must be terminated on both ends, but I'm not sure how to tell if the adapter end is terminated (I know that the other end -- the scanner -- is terminated).  The scsi adapter is set to use SCAM.

So I'm guessing my problem is (besides ignorance) either 1) scsi not terminated properly, 2) scsi modules not loading, 3) something missing on the linux command line, or 4) all of the above.

I'd really appreciate a few pointers...thanks in advance.

--

./derek/wickersham/