Re: Modem Problems

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 02:46:15PM -0700, Justin Rolando wrote:

> I need an at command for speaker settings and can't seem to get it -- i hit
> connect and it says modem ready then it says setting speaker volume and
> thats where it stays -- won't go any further

What command are you using to dial the modem?  Is it kppp?  I'm not
familiar with any programs that report status like that.

Your modem should have come with a set of instructions which should
include the AT commands for it.  One of those should set the speaker
volume.

Another possibility is that you've got your modem device pointed to
the wrong device, or that you don't have the IRQ on the device set
properly.  Your program should tell you what device it's using; make
sure that that's the one your modem is on.  Remember: COM1 ->
/dev/ttyS0, COM2 -> /dev/ttyS1, etc.  If your program is using
something different, like /dev/modem, do an ls -l on that file; it's
probably a symlink to the right device.

If all that checks out, check the IRQ.  Type "setserial /dev/ttyS<x>"
at a shell prompt; that should tell you what IRQ the modem is using.
If it isn't right, set it with "setserial /dev/ttyS<x> irq <y>" and
try again.  If that does it, you might want to set that every time you
boot.  That's distro-specific, and I'm not sure how Caldera does it;
you might look for a "rc.serial" or "rc.local" file in /etc/rc.d, or
some control panel under LISA or something.