Kernel Panic

I recently have converted a server from Free BSD to RH 6.0 after a catastrophic HD failure, but now I'm having problems upgrading the kernel from the generic RH 6.0 kernel.  The system has a 9.1 GB SCSI HD on an Adaptec controller and has 128 MB of RAM.  I configured the kernel using menuconfig and made sure that it had the proper SCSI drivers selected as '*' and not 'M' or 'Y'. I then compiled the 2.2.7 (and now have tried 2.2.8 and 2.2.9) kernel following the directions in the Kernel HOWTO and moved the files to the proper locations.  After editing lilo.conf and rerunning lilo I rebooted and got the message.

Kernel Panic
VFS Cannot mount root fs

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Benjamin Story
BULLETS.NET
"A Straight Shot for Williamsville and Sherman to the Internet"