Re: connection to ":0.0" refused

Please see inserted comments --

> On Thu, 13 May 1999 WICKERSHAM_DEREK_M@CAT.com wrote:
> > After upgrading to RH6, I lost KDE and had to re-install it (thanks,
> > Steve) from scratch.  Then I had to re-upgrade Redhat.  Somehow I
> > managed to get it all back, but I can't run any X applications.
> >
> > Correction: I do recall that xterm ran at first; so did kppp.  But
> > after I dialed into my ISP, every X app I try to run gives me this:
> >
> >  Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> >
> > I was thinking, this has something to do with xhost, but I'm not sure
> > what exactly.  Can anyone suggest what I can do?
>
> Could be that your IP is changing after you dial in and X thinks it's
> getting connected to from a foreign host.  If you start an xterm before you
> dial-in, then after dialing in do an "xhost + localhost" and see if that
> works.  If not, try replacing localhost with your ISP assigned IP address.
> One of those things'll prolly work.  You could prolly put that in a script
> to run after succesful dial-up...

Yes, I am sure that my IP does change after I connect.  But I never had this problem before the upgrade...I was running RH5.2.  Any ideas why this would start now?

> > Other quibble -- autofs works, but doesn't start automatically.  I have
> > to type in "/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs start" and then everything works.
> > How can I get this to start at boot time?
>
> under /etc/rc.n where "n" is the runlevel you're starting (prolly 2 or 3
> depending if you're starting with console mode or xdm), there are symlinks
> to the scripts that start when you start or stop that runlevel.  You _could_
> make a symlink there in the same style as teh others already in there, but
> since you've got KDE installed it might be a lot easier for you to just
> start up ksysv as root, which'll give you a neat-o GUI to rearrange the
> order things start and stop in the diferent runlevels.
>
> Good Luck,
> Danny

I start in console mode.  So would I put it under rc.2 or rc.3? I recall looking for the symlink to autofs in all the rc.*'s but it wasn't there.  And I wasn't sure which one to put it under.

Hey, thanks for the help!

Derek Wickersham