Re: Cheap SMP box

John Corey said:
> Slashdot has bit on this adaptor to take a Celeron PGA CPU and not only
> makes it usable in a Slot 1 motherboard, but can even take two to do
> SMP.  They are only going for $22, and the PGA Celerons can be had for
> like $100.  I could see someone putting together a sub $500 box with
> these puppies.  Now the question is do I do this, or wait a couple
> months for the K7's to appear?

I toyed with the idea of going dual Celery^Hon for a little while, but
I have this strong suspicion that the small L2 cache would just kill
performance.  SMP is very sensitive to L2 cache size.

I'm probably going to give up and go dual Pentium if the K7 doesn't
arrive soon (and at a very reasonable price).  If you can't afford
that, go high-end K6-3 on a board with lots of L3.  They should
scream.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month