Re: stuff and the thing

Tesla Coil said:
> Possible that their default kernel is compiled assuming a Pentium,
> or did you recompile for a 486?  I've heard suggestion that a kernel
> compile for a Pentium won't even run on an older machine, but that
> could have just meant "crawl like a worm."

A kernel optimized (-mpentium or whatever) for a Pentium *should* run
OK on a 486, but if the kernel was compiled with a CPU type of Pentium
or higher, it probably wouldn't even boot on a 486.

> Speaking of older machines, I mentioned at Computerfest we should
> have had a 386 there for sake of "if Linux can do this on this platform,
> you know it's efficient."

Heh...  I'd bring in my 386, but it's too busy doing Real Work (tm).  ;)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month