Re: stuff and the thing

8 minutes... hummm.... coult it be the thing with sendmail(?) .... or
somthing to that effect. It seems to me I read somewhere that if you try to
install networking, and don't have a server it can contact at bootup, it
will go off into lala land untill it times out at boot up.
I have had one or two installs I messed with here do that and it always
threw me as to why it would stop at that point. It will usually, finally,
wake up and continue the boot. (This would *only* be for slow boot problems
though..... just an idea)

>Well, I didn't recompile so you're probably right on about why
>it was crawling (honestly, it took about 8 minutes to boot, and
>get into KDE). For me, one of Linux's greatest strengths is
>that it can give new life to old equipment, and I was real pleased
>with the results of the Red Hat install, so I guess i'm becoming
>a Red Hat zelot (I'm sure there are worse things - like being a
>Slackware addict *hehe* =).

Does it *HAVE* to be SVGA, or would a pllain ol' vga card work?  Several
sources, I find a lot of stuff at Computer Renassiance (Peoria, Bloomington,
and Champaign {never been to the latter though}) . I also find a ton of
hardware at ham fests. Next one I know if that I might go to is in Princton
on the 1st Sunday of June. Also how about Surplus Direct?

I also have laying aroung here several old oh, I think there are 256K VGA
cards. Might even be able to locate a 1 Meg SVGA if I try hard enough. That
was why I was wondering just what you wanted. If you want to run X then I
suspose that SvgA is a must. But just text mode, I may be able to
help..........

Let me know either way and I will keep my eyes open.

Roy

>As far as finding an ISA video card, good luck. I have a couple
>of VLB Mach cards, but I don't think they will do you any good.
>I would think that a 486 box would be a better "Look what
>Linux can run on" box since there is probably alot more 486s
>still around, but it's your call. =).

P.S. I have several 486 Mother boards, and whole units (less
monitor/Keyboards) stacked here and there as well. Let me know if I can
help. I think the clustering sounds interesting and might want to try it,
just for kicks myself!  =?)