Re: stuff and the thing

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Tesla Coil wrote:
> I've heard suggestion that a kernel compile for a Pentium won't even run
> on an older machine, but that could have just meant "crawl like a worm."

I'm pretty sure that just means "it'll work, but not as well".  Crawl like a
worm may be a bit of an overstatement...

> But, dang it, where can I find a decent SVGA card for an ISA slot?  I
> used to have that S3 Virge; transferred that to a Pentium 100, which is
> long gone.  Now all I find is PCI or just VGA.

I've gotten a few from www.c-computer.com within the past 6 months.  I don't
know if Bill can still get them from anywhere or not, but you might try
anyway. :)  Else, on-line auctions are about it (or you could watch
champaign newsgroups, I don't know about your area).

> BTW, got myself a K6-2 450 now, so maybe I can qualify to be in the
> cluster at the Computerfest, hopefully to occur in 2000, and not 1900.

Did you buy it at 450, or do like mine and push your 350 to well over 450?
:)  I know if I'd bought a 450, it'd darn well better be running at least
500 ish...

--Danny