Re: stuff and the thing

On 6 May 1999, Jason Burke wrote:

> I really like the Caldera install. However, I noticed last weekend
> (while doing an install for someone else) that on older computers
> it doesn't scale down well at all (we had this poor 486 just crawling
> like a worm on sandpaper).

Possible that their default kernel is compiled assuming a Pentium,
or did you recompile for a 486?  I've heard suggestion that a kernel
compile for a Pentium won't even run on an older machine, but that
could have just meant "crawl like a worm."  It's been common practice
for distributions to default to 386, but I could see Caldera ceasing
to do so.  Their mininum req's on 2.2 call for 32Mb RAM; some 386
boards maxed at sixteen.

Speaking of older machines, I mentioned at Computerfest we should
have had a 386 there for sake of "if Linux can do this on this platform,
you know it's efficient."   I'm assembling that demo unit, trying to get
a head start so I have plenty of time to tweak it silly.  I put a folding
handle on case so it lugs easy--friends find that concept pretty cute,
a portable tower case.  But, dang it, where can I find a decent SVGA
card for an ISA slot?   I used to have that S3 Virge; transferred that to
a Pentium 100, which is long gone.  Now all I find is PCI or just VGA.

BTW, got myself a K6-2 450 now, so maybe I can qualify to be in the
cluster at the Computerfest, hopefully to occur in 2000, and not 1900.