Re: stuff and the thing

mike packard wrote:

> Is there anyplace to reference all the dumb little errors and messages
> that pop up in your log files for sendmail, messages, etc.?  I don't know
> what a lot of them mean.
>
> Also, regarding Caldera: Did anyone else not really like using it after
> they had it installed?  I thought that the install was pretty nice.
> However, when I rebooted I didn't even feel like I was in Linux anymore.
> Not that graphical logins are horrible, but I couldn't figure out how to
> turn it off.  I also find KDE very uncomfortable because (like Windows)
> it's easy and convenient to configure the things they have menus for, but
> very difficult, to do what there isn't a menu for. It seems to me that
> this whole "getting Linux on the desktop" movement is doing a lot more
> "Hey we can imitate Windows." and not enough "Hey, we're so much cooler
> than windows, see!"  The whole thing (RedHat is doing this too) just
> seemed very clogged and messy.  Example: A "minimum" install from Caldera
> 2.2 installed full-blown KDE along with all its stuff and that gui login
> thingy.
>
> I'm interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.
>
> ghort
>
> --

Mike,

I really like the Caldera install. However, I noticed last weekend (while
doing an
install for someone else) that on older computers it doesn't scale down well

at all (we had this poor 486 just crawling like a worm on sandpaper).
Anyway,
I have found that I am much more comfortable with the higher level of
control
that the Red Hat install gives you, and I am able to bring a workstation up
quicker with Red Hat over Caldera. Also, I am a BIG fan of WindowMaker
(Yeah, I know everyone is just shocked at that statement ;), and KDE just
doesn't do it for me (though they do have nice apps, gotta get the new
version
of WindowMaker installed then I can run Gnumeric next to Asteroids =).

Just me babble =)

Jason